Monday, February 14, 2011

Paco’s Valentine Day Race





February 13, 2011

Rick Reynolds

Sunday in the Sierras proved to be a busy day. Tahoe Donner was the site of the inaugural “Paco’s Valentine Day Race” and Auburn Ski Club hosted a junior olympic qualifier. The combined races diluted the field at TD but by no means diluted the efforts of the racers or the race organizers. Day time temps leading up to Sunday were mid 50’s and over night temps were in the low 20‘s. Conditions were going to be firm corduroy turning wet in sun exposed areas. Conditions very similar to the BMT and I made some adjustments from what I had learned in Ketchum. I decided I wanted my stiffest skis and I wanted a wax that would give me a hard base and be resilient to dirt. My ski choice was my new Rossignol WCS2, an absolutely phenomenal ski. I waxed Toko LF moly and LF Blue first, then HF moly and HF Blue, then roto corked in moly jet stream for a fast top coat. Right before the race I rubbed on another layer of moly JS and buffed it in with a thermo pad. One issue I had to deal with was my stiff ski of choice has the cold Ultratune S2 grind on it so I used our Finite structuring tool to add some structure. I made one pass with the LO4 and one pass with the V10. One more adjustment I made was moving my binding forward one notch. I typically ski with my binding just back of center, but with the firm snow I opted for more control and to be able to get a little more from the ski when attacking. Bottom line, my skis rocked. Only problem, young guys keep getting younger!
In the men's field Tav Streit took home the gold with Michael Collins second and myself third.
Beth Reid won the women’s race, Kari Rust 2nd, Beth Thomas 3rd and Truckee XC team member Susan Reynolds 5th.

For complete race results go to:http://farwestnordic.org/raceresults/results20102011/td_pacosvalentine11.html

Race Photos by Mark Nadell www.macbethgraphics.com

No comments:

TRUCKEE XC
Truckee's Premier Nordic Ski Team